Friday, August 24, 2007

Window Managers

Now that I've settled on a Linux distribution, I needed to get it all setup how I like it. The first choice is what window manager to use. I have tried them all (or a majority of them) from Desktop Enviroments like KDE, Gnome, XFCE, to minimal window managers like TWM, CTWM, FVWM, IceWM, Pekwm, Aewm, Fluxbox, Openbox, etc. Which one is the best? well it just depends on what you like. I like resource friendly, fast, and completely configurable. That rules out the desktop enviroments. So which of the minimal ones fit that bill? Several do, but most have annoyances like how the windows are placed or some things can't be configured like mouse operations or titlebar buttons.

So the winner for me, is OpenBox. It gives me everything i need in a window manager. It has good configurability, doesnt force me to use its taskbar or uneeded items, and is resource friendly. Add "apwal" launcher and bind it to the right mouse button and you have a fast light easy to use system.

No comments: